WHAT IS RPET?
THE RECYCLING PROCESS OF A RPET BOTTLES
- Collection; the process starts with the collection of PET bottles in bales.
- Debaling; the packed bales with compressed bottles these are then broken into loose bottles.
- Sorting; the sorting of bottles can be done by hand or by using an auto sorting.
- Shredder; PET bottles sorted by colour are shredded into large flakes.
- 1st Dry/wet cleaning process; the flakes are cleaned in water/steam.
- Grinding; the larger flakes are grinded into smaller flakes.
- Paper/plastic/metal separator; separation is made in a swim tank where the various material are separated by their different densities.
- Hot Flake washer; glue and other contaminants are removed.
- Dryer; after the different washing stages the flakes are thoroughly dried.
- Metal detector.
- Flake sorter; the sorting of the flake is done by optical systems, sorting on different colours.
THE TESTS AND TRAILS OF THE PET RECYCLING PROCESS
The EFSA – European Food Safety Authority – is the controlling body which regulates the food safety for the European Union. The EFSA has issued positive evaluations and positive scientific opinions for some PET recycling processes and companies. Working for the food and cosmetics industry it is a must that you select a recycler who is EFSA approved and produces rPET grade products which may be used up to 100% for foodstuff.